Sagan

Sjálfsbjörg Akureyri og Nágrenni

1958

Sjálfsbjörg the federation of physically disabled people in Akureyri and surroundings was established on the 8th of October. Sigursveinns D. Kristinsson the principle of the music school of Siglufjörður was largely responsible; he had previously been a driving force in the establishments of the associations of physically disabled people in Reykjavík, Ísafjörður and in Siglufjörður. The first chairman was Emil Andersen.

1959

Construction of the headquarters of the association began at Hvannavellir 10, where now the Salvation Army operates. The head carpenter responsible was Jón Gíslason who also built the house in Bugðarsíða 1. The building was named Bjarg.

1960

The newly constructed building in Hvannavellir 10 began operating as the association’s community building and workspace.

1968

The plastic company Bjarg begins operation. Their first order of business is to produce rectangular piping cans for the Italian company Ticino. The company was intended to provide physically disabled people work.

1970

The rehabilitation center Bjarg starts operations. The physical therapist Magnús Ólafsson starts work.

1971

The plastic company Bjarg begans production of fishing boxes.

1974

The sports club for the disabled is established on the 7th of December. The first chairman is Stefán Árnason.

1976

On the 21th of August work begins on the new building in Bugðasíða 1.

1981

The operations are moved to Bugðasíða 1 en the building named Bjarg.

1983

The plastics company Bjarg makes a contract with the Italian company of Ticino regarding assembly of electric clutches. The contract provides 11 disabled people with half-day work.

1984

Ako-plastic stars operation. The company was owned by Sjálfsbjörg but was not a protected workplace.

1988

The gymnasium is put into service. The 10th anniversary of the association.

1991

Ako-plastic sold.

1992

The government rents the operations of the plastic company Bjarg. The town of Akureyri buys a share in the basement of the Bjarg building to use as a social and service center for senior citizens.

1993

The government buys the plastic company Bjarg.

1996

The finished touches are put on a lot and parking areas by Bjarg and the main building.

1997

Two social halls put into service in the basement of Bjarg.

1998

The association celebrates its fortieth anniversary

2001

Bjarg health and fitness center ltd. rents housing from the association and takes over the fitness operations.

2002

Sjálfsbjörg Akureyri for the first time receives an independent contract with the Social Insurance Administration for physical therapy.

2003

Sjálfsbjörg waives its rights to build a property on a plot of land between Glerárchurch and Bjargs to the town of Akureyri, instead receiving a significantly larger parking lot.

2004

The association’s gymnasium is sold to the Health and fitness operations at Bjarg ltd. and all the fitness operations are moved there. A contract with the Social Insurance Administration regarding occupational therapist at Bjarg is reached. Anna María Malmquist is hired.

2007

Significant renovations are made to the housing of the association amongst them new facilities for Occupational therapist, a new changing room for staff, improvements to the physical therapists shared office space and three new treatment spaces put where previously the outpatient area for SPOEX location was (now at FSA).

2009

The children’s area of the association is renovated.

2010

The building is repainted.

2013

A hall for occupational therapy is taken into use.

2017

The cottage purchased.